Getting Wine's PO files on Launchpad

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Mon Sep 5 03:38:13 CDT 2011

Francois Gouget wrote:
> Launchpad has a PO file translation website. This makes it easier for
> non-developpers to contribute and review translations.
>
> https://translations.launchpad.net/
>
> So what would it take to get Wine's PO files on Launchpad?
Permission to relicense the existing translations with a BSD license...
https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/StartingToTranslate#Licensing_your_translations
The license itself is sane but it will require quite some work and time
to accomplish the relicensing.

The other probably more important thing is copyright assignment;
launchpad is infamous for that. Would potential translators need to sign
one of those? I didn't see that on a quick look but if it is required
that is a blocker IMHO.

>  * Launchpad tracks who translated what string and if we choose the
>    'Closed' permissions model only approved translators can update the
>    translations. So that means we should be able to get patches with
>    full attribution.
>    https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/YourProject/PermissionPolicies
>
>  * Launchpad would need to pull updated PO files from Wine regularly.
>    Ideally that would be automatic and happen daily (both to account
>    for translations happening outside Launchpad and to take changes in
>    the resource files into account quickly).
>    https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/YourProject/ImportingTranslations
>
>  * Conversely Launchpad should submit patches back to Wine. Ideally that
>    would be automated as much as possible but I'm fuzzy on the details
>    here (especially on how to preserve attribution). As for the
>    periodicity, maybe the best would be weekly or just before Alexandre
>    makes a release.
>    https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/YourProject/Exports
>    https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/YourProject/PartialPOExport

bye