Getting Wine's PO files on Launchpad

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Mon Sep 5 13:30:30 CDT 2011

On 09/05/2011 04:46 AM, Henri Verbeet wrote:
> On 5 September 2011 10:38, Michael Stefaniuc <mstefani at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Permission to relicense the existing translations with a BSD license...
>> https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/StartingToTranslate#Licensing_your_translations
>> The license itself is sane but it will require quite some work and time
>> to accomplish the relicensing.
>>
> While BSD is an acceptable license, I can't say I'm really a fan, or
> that it's something I'd like to encourage. I'm probably the only one
> with that opinion though, and not much of a translator.

I think the technical reason for this is that launchpad has a growing
intelligence about suggested translations built on its evergrowing
database of translations.  That requires a permissive license for its
new translations, since the suggestions could be applied to different
projects that might fall under different copyrights.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie