RFC: Translating Wine's dialogs with PO files

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Mon Sep 12 16:24:32 CDT 2011

On 09/12/2011 08:14 PM, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> writes:
>
>> This is the next step in making full use of the PO files for translating
>> Wine. But how to get there is unclear, hence this RFC.
>>
>> The issue with dialogs is that in RC files all the dialog and control
>> sizes are hardcoded. For instance in the line below '208, 6, 56, 14'
>> represent the x-left, y-top, width and height of the button:
>>
>>    DEFPUSHBUTTON "Save As", IDOK, 208, 6, 56, 14, BS_DEFPUSHBUTTON | WS_GROUP | WS_TABSTOP
>>
>> The problem is that once translated to French, for instance, the label
>> becomes 'Enregistrer sous' which is much longer and may require
>> enlarging the button. But RC files do not contain the information needed
>> to do that automatically. For instance they don't specify enlarging this
>> button requires enlarging the 'Cancel' and 'Help' buttons below too.
>>
>> So how do we solve this problem?
>
> There's another option: design the dialogs with enough spare room that
So we need somebody that can design dialogs. From the scope it is a
similar job to the icon modernization/standardization done by Joel.
Which isn't a bad thing as our dialogs have a pretty inconsistent look
and feel.

> most languages would fit, and maintain language-specific RC files for
> the special cases that really can't be accommodated. Ideally, a tool
> would be written to warn about a translation overflowing the available
IMHO we need this tool first to ease the work of the person cleaning up
the dialogs; we don't want him/her to run away screaming after the first
few dialogs.

> space, so that it can be looked into. Not very satisfying, but a lot
> simpler than the other options...
And has the buy in of the Wine maintainer... SHIP IT! ;)

bye
	michael