Proof of concept - The crashbot

Bruno Jesus 00cpxxx at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 08:42:25 CDT 2011

Hi, I would like your opinion about a project I may start based on
BuildBot (if the Dan/license allows).

It's named crashbot because it's intended to automate testing of
applications that crash in wine. The main goal is reduce the amount of
time wasted on retesting bugzilla applications that authors abandoned.

It's intented to be as easy as this:
1 - Add a new application by setting it's name, bug number and direct
download url;
2 - Add requirements to run using winetricks;
3 - Set the test schedule (interval in days/weeks between repetitions);
4 - See the results in a web page which will automatically update;
5 - Auto send an email if the application starts successfully.

The crashbot will run in a tmpfs to avoid disk burning and will ever
run applications in a clean prefix. It would extract the downloaded
program if necessary. Wine would be recompiled daily based on latest
git.

In the future I would like to add support to some sort of window
scripting with keyboard and mouse input so it can be used not only to
test startup crashs but any other kind of test (including the program
installation before run). I'm not targeting it to test games for now
because it would run in a very basic computer with an embedded video
board.

Thanks in advance and apologies if this already exists or was
discussed previously.

Best wishes,
Bruno

--
universe* god::bigbang (void); //and then it all began...