Proof of concept - The crashbot

Seth Shelnutt shelnutt2 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 09:56:00 CDT 2011

You might be interested in looking at Appinstall by Austin English. He has
done some great work on using autohotkey and doing application installs. I
started a GSOC project that wasn't accepted last year to improve upon it.
I've made improvements since then but I guess I never pushed it to my
github. I'll see about pushing the changes I've made tonight, in the
meantime here is my github of "apptester" [1]. I was working mostly with
python and using bash for wpkg. wpkg helps to automate the installation of
apps. For the actually testing I was still trying to find out a good way to
test a gui in an automated sort of fashion. Never really find a easy way
because windows menus aren't automation friendly. I also looked at adding
some of MSAA or Microsoft UI Automation support to wine but never got very
far.

Personally I think automated application testing is the next major testing
platform for wine. Test suites are the most important, but application
testing can mean knowing when new software works in wine and from a user
standpoint of view more "interesting" and applicable than what test suites
are getting passed.

-Seth Shelnutt

[1]https://github.com/Shelnutt2/apptester