ieframe/tests: Skip some tests on Windows if WebBrowser is not supported.

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Sun Sep 18 16:07:03 CDT 2011

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011, Jacek Caban wrote:
[...]
> IEs older than 7 had WebBrowser control implemented in shdocvw.dll. We surely
> don't want to run tests on anything older than IE6. IE6 results very little
> value in this case, so I consider DLL presence check as a nice way of skipping
> tests on too old platforms and I've even stripped the code from no longer
> needed checks that you want to add when I was moving them from shdocvw to
> ieframe, In this case, skipping tests is really a job for testbot.

The problem is that the fact we want the ieframes.dll implementation and
none other is absolutely not documented currently. Just relying on the
test executable's name is insufficient imho, especially as it runs
counter to the COM philosophy[1]. Similarly, relying on WineTest or
Testbot
behavior is insufficient in this case.

So I think it owuld be much better if the test itself documented what
its requirements are, either with a LoadLibrary() or with at least a
trace or comment in the code.

[1] That is, the fact that a piece of code tries to create a
CLSID_WebBrowser object does not imply that it wants ieframes.dll or any
other specific dll.

  Any sufficiently advanced Operating System is indistinguishable from Linux