Fwd: [GSoC Mentors] [Announce] GSoC 2012 Mentors/Org Admins: "Pencils Down" and Final Evaluation Dates Approaching

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 13:35:18 CDT 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Carol Smith <carols at google.com>
Date: Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Subject: [GSoC Mentors] [Announce] GSoC 2012 Mentors/Org Admins:
"Pencils Down" and Final Evaluation Dates Approaching
To: Google Summer of Code Mentors List
<google-summer-of-code-mentors-list at googlegroups.com>

Hi there,

This is a friendly reminder that Monday, 13 August is our soft
"pencils down" date. We suggest that students have completed their
projects by this date and spend a week writing documentation and
wrapping up their projects. We require that students stop all coding
on 20 August.

Monday, 20 August at 19:00 UTC is also when final evaluations open.
Please consider this your reminder to submit your final evaluation by
24 August at 19:00 UTC so that you don't delay your students' final
payments or possibly jeopardize your organization's attendance at the
mentor summit.

I have updated the code submission guidelines [0] and posted it on
Melange for your reference. Code submission begins once students have
received a passing grade on their final evaluations (after 24 August).
The deadline is 14 September. One question students ask a lot is what
portion of their code to submit if they made changes to an existing
code base or their code interacts a lot with a system they didn't
write. The answer is: use your best discretion. Have them submit the
code that makes the most sense from a user's perspective. If students
need help with code submission they should contact the Melange team at
melange-soc-dev at googlegroups.com.

I have posted the questions for the final evaluations below as well
for your reference.

[0] - http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/codeguidelines

Cheers,
Carol

----------------

How would you rate the student’s performance on his/her project since
the midterm evaluations?

It has improved since the midterm
It has stayed the same since the midterm
It has gotten worse since the midterm

Considering your student’s original project proposal, how closely does
the project produced reflect the project proposed?

It’s almost exactly the same - there have been very few changes to the project
It’s similar - there have been some changes over the course of the summer
It’s different - we changed the goals or scope of the project
It’s different - the student diverged from the project plan

How much time have you spent on Google Summer of Code since the
midterm evaluations (again, take into consideration both time
mentoring the student and working on the program as a whole)?

10-15 hours per week
15-20 hours per week
20-25 hours per week
25-30 hours per week
30-35 hours per week
35-40 hours per week
40+ hours per week

How does this amount of time spent on the program compare to before
the midterms?

It’s less than before the midterms
It’s about the same
It’s more than before the midterms

How would you rate your student’s performance overall?

Excellent - amongst the best performers I’ve ever worked with
Strong, solid performance
Okay
Poor

How would you rate your experience with the program overall?

Excellent - one of the best programs I’ve ever participated in
Very good
Okay
Poor

Did you have a co-mentor in the program this year? If so, would you
consider this a help or a hindrance? Why?
What one thing would you tell mentors for your organization to do in
the future to help the students’ experience with the program?
What was the most rewarding and/or difficult part of the program for
you this year?
Anything else you’d like to tell us?

-Austin