[3/3] gdiplus: Make GdipMeasureCharacterRanges/GdipMeasureString/GdipDrawString add extra space around the text.

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Fri Aug 24 09:38:42 CDT 2012

Vincent Povirk <madewokherd at gmail.com> wrote:

> > These APIs use different logic for adding extra space, so at the moment
> > I don't see how gdip_format_string() can be used to do this in one place,
> > but if somebody has an idea how to do that - patches are welcome.
>
> That is highly unlikely, particularly given that
> MeasureCharacterRanges is the accepted practice for highlighting parts
> of a string.

For instance accoding to the tests MeasureCharacterRanges adds extra space
only to X, while GdipMeasureString and GdipDrawString also add extra space
to Height and Width of the bounding rectangle.

> You should make sure you do your tests so the size in pixels is the em
> size of the font, or at least at a consistent size between them, as
> native may cut into the padding if hinting makes the characters
> proportionally larger (this is the point of having the padding, but
> for the record I think it is behavior that we shouldn't try to
> duplicate).

That's an implementation detail, and my patch has nothing to do with that.

> Do you have a visual test program for this? I'd like to see something
> that draws a string overlayed with the measurements, to confirm that
> the functions are not consistent on Windows (or, if they are, confirm
> that they are consistent with your patch). If not, I'll write one and
> send you the source code.

I have an application which makes a havy use of all of this.

> +    /* FIXME: GenericTypographic format prevents extra margins */
>
> Since no margins is the current behavior, won't that cause a
> regression? It should be fairly easy to include that exception.
>
> Then again, I think I've heard reports that GenericTypographic doesn't work.

GenericTypographic does work in my tests, but since it's currently completely
ignored anyway I decided to leave it alone. Once these patches are in I'll add
support for this case later.

--
Dmitry.