[3/3] gdiplus: Make GdipMeasureCharacterRanges/GdipMeasureString/GdipDrawString add extra space around the text.

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Fri Aug 24 10:10:29 CDT 2012

Vincent Povirk <madewokherd at gmail.com> wrote:

> > For instance accoding to the tests MeasureCharacterRanges adds extra space
> > only to X, while GdipMeasureString and GdipDrawString also add extra space
> > to Height and Width of the bounding rectangle.
>
> That doesn't sound inconsistent to me, it's just that those functions
> are measuring different things. CharacterRanges tells you where the
> individual characters are (and is resolution-dependent as I understand
> it), while MeasureString/DrawString only give information about full
> lines and are resolution-independent (they may have to cut into the
> padding depending on the hinting at that resolution, but users of
> these functions can ignore that and assume the entire line will scale
> to any resolution).
>
> Probably the callback just needs another argument specifying where the
> first character is. (For tabs we may need a position for subsequent
> characters as well, or multiple callbacks for a single line.)

That's the whole reason of my comment:
"at the moment
I don't see how gdip_format_string() can be used to do this in one place,
but if somebody has an idea how to do that - patches are welcome."

Right now I just want to implement correct behaviour to make the tests pass,
nothing more. Any optimizations, simplifications, or even redesign could be
done later.

> I don't think we should make MeasureString/DrawString
> resolution-independent because that also makes native's text
> incredibly ugly, and would greatly increase the complexity of
> gdip_format_string.

That sounds like a pure guess, not related to my patches.

--
Dmitry.