RFC: Remove auto-scan of ALSA devices from winealsa.drv

Andrew Eikum aeikum at codeweavers.com
Wed Dec 12 09:31:20 CST 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 03:57:40PM +0100, Henri Verbeet wrote:
> On 12 December 2012 15:28, Andrew Eikum <aeikum at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> > It's tricky because ALSA and PulseAudio have different theories about
> > where device selection should occur -- in the application or in the
> > audio mixer. In the ALSA case, we want to list devices. In the Pulse
> > case, we want to list only "default".
> >
> But supposedly we'll have a winepulse driver eventually, so winealsa
> would only need to care about actual ALSA devices.

Even ignoring the Pulse case, we don't have an acceptable enumeration
API. It doesn't seem unreasonable to require users with strange audio
setups to tell Wine what to do. We could provide some convenience
features, like a list of suggested devices that the user would have to
explicitly enable.

Andrew