wine-1.5.20 reversion compared to 1.5.19 and previous; MinGW/gcc 4.7.0 segfaults under wineconsole

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Fri Dec 28 04:54:12 CST 2012

On 2012-12-28 10:44+0100 Frédéric Delanoy wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Alan W. Irwin
> <irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:
>> On 2012-12-23 21:25-0600 Austin English wrote:

>>> Please run a regression test and file a bug at http://bugs.winehq.org.
>>
>> No thank you.
>
> Why would anyone help you if you fail to do your homework?

The shoe is on the other foot. I am trying to help Wine developers
assuming they have an interest in fixing obvious problems in their
code no matter how informally such problems are pointed out.

This bug should be easy to replicate.  Try to compile any C programme
(e.g., a "Hello, world" programme) with MinGW-4.7.0 under wine-1.5.20
and that compiler segfaults.  Do the same under wine-1.5.19, and there
is no such problem.  That's all that should be required to not only
replicate the bug but also demonstrate the reversion.  Meanwhile, I am
happy to stick with 1.5.19 until some Wine developer takes
responsibility for getting this regression fixed.

If anybody tries such a test, and doesn't see the issue, then
as I said before I am willing to supply more details.

By the way, informal bug reports reported on mailing lists have been
quite helpful to me in the past for my own software projects.  I also
have seen a number of projects spend an inordinate amount of time with
bug triage rather than actually fixing the code.  So I welcome
informal bug reports for my own projects especially when an issue is
easy to replicate. It appears you do not personally welcome such
informal reports, but hopefully other wine developers are not so
inflexible for obvious problems like this one is.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin