wine-1.5.20 reversion compared to 1.5.19 and previous; MinGW/gcc 4.7.0 segfaults under wineconsole

Frédéric Delanoy frederic.delanoy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 06:45:31 CST 2012

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Alan W. Irwin
<irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:
> On 2012-12-28 10:44+0100 Frédéric Delanoy wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Alan W. Irwin
>> <irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:

>>> No thank you.
>>
>> Why would anyone help you if you fail to do your homework?
>
> The shoe is on the other foot. I am trying to help Wine developers
> assuming they have an interest in fixing obvious problems in their
> code no matter how informally such problems are pointed out.
>
> This bug should be easy to replicate.  Try to compile any C programme
> (e.g., a "Hello, world" programme) with MinGW-4.7.0 under wine-1.5.20
> and that compiler segfaults.  Do the same under wine-1.5.19, and there
> is no such problem.  That's all that should be required to not only
> replicate the bug but also demonstrate the reversion.  Meanwhile, I am
> happy to stick with 1.5.19 until some Wine developer takes
> responsibility for getting this regression fixed.

I think that creating a bug would have taken less time than writing
your emails, and be more helpful on the long run (this thread will be
archived like others, and be mostly forgotten, unlike bugs in
bugzilla)

> If anybody tries such a test, and doesn't see the issue, then
> as I said before I am willing to supply more details.
>
> By the way, informal bug reports reported on mailing lists have been
> quite helpful to me in the past for my own software projects.  I also
> have seen a number of projects spend an inordinate amount of time with
> bug triage rather than actually fixing the code.

Wine is a big project. What applies to a small/medium project doesn't
necessarily apply here.
If everybody started reporting bugs in emails, that would quickly
become unmanageable.

> So I welcome
> informal bug reports for my own projects especially when an issue is
> easy to replicate. It appears you do not personally welcome such
> informal reports, but hopefully other wine developers are not so
> inflexible for obvious problems like this one is.

It's not so much that I don't welcome informal reports (they can be
helpful of course), but I didn't like the tone of your inital reply.
It sounded to me like: "Have someone fix my bug quickly, but I don't
want to waste time reporting it correcty ["go through a bunch of Wine
 bug-reporting hoops"]...  so do all the work yourself".

That isn't a nice way to ask for support IMHO, especially for other
people volunteering their time on Wine, and who may also have other
projects of their own.
Also, you didn't probably pay a cent for your wine version, so don't
expect people to prioritize the issues you encounter above all others,
which may be equally important.
Other users have issues with wine but they don't generally complain as
loudly as you did.

> Alan

Frédéric