Fwd: Google Summer of Code 2012 DEADLINE: 2012-02-27

Maarten Lankhorst m.b.lankhorst at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 08:50:49 CST 2012

Hey Jeremy,

Op 10-02-12 20:23, Jeremy White schreef:
> Hi Folks,
>
> It's that time of year again - summer of code is going to start up soon.
>
> Maarten, you've been coordinating things for us for a while now - are
> you still game?  Would you like help?  Anyone else willing to volunteer
> to help admin the process?

I'll apply wine again this year, but I want to ask everyone to help
update our summer of code project wiki page.

http://wiki.winehq.org/SummerOfCode

I feel like we're not getting enough accessible projects that also have
the correct length. I'm looking for something that's non-trivial but can
still be done incrementally, having huge delta's to winehq has proven to
not lead to meaningful contributions, and some of the projects on that
list are too small, too complicated or might not be integrated into wine
because it would be above a student's level get it done
right.

I have my doubts about these for example:
- Message mode pipes - if AJ doesn't know how to do it, how can a
student do it right?
- Sandboxing, what's to prevent an app from simply doing syscalls in
assembly, a real sandbox is not going to work
- Richedit windowless mode - There's no way this can be a student
project until someone does the thiscall that works both ways, this has
been the biggest stumbling block to implementing it.
- TestSuite - All previous attempts have failed, I believe that
compiling testsuites for other projects would be a good project instead,
fixing all problems that show up and don't show up on windows. Improving
winetestbot to something more standardized and maintained would be nice
too, but hardly a summer of code project, since it's too short.

But that's just my opinion, feel free to add your own projects to that
list. :-)

~Maarten