AW: winealsa.drv patch to enum all software devices from .asoundrc

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 11:43:16 CST 2012

On Monday, February 13, 2012 2:17:13 PM Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
wrote:
> Chris Robinson wrote:
> >Plain mmdevapi can't do rate conversions
> You forgot AUDCLNT_STREAMFLAGS_RATEADJUST since w7.

Interestingly, this flag seems to only have an effect for already-initialized
streams. ALSA would need a way to adjust the rate of an opened device for this
to work.

> >It's up to the app or whatever component is using mmdevapi to convert
> >to the rate/channels given by GetMixFormat.
>
> This is misleading in the context of Wine.  As I've laid down in
> http://wiki.winehq.org/Sound?highlight=(Limitations)
> Wine depends on a non-conforming mmdevapi that accepts all possible
> formats such as 7192x8x1 for its winmm and DSound to work.

Wine's dsound needs to do its own resampling and mixing to handle secondary
buffers, so it should be able to output whatever rate mmdevapi wants. If winmm
outputs through dsound, and dsound outputs through mmdevapi, then neither
should have a problem with mmdevapi accepting only one rate.