Windows-on-Arm won't support win32

Vincent Povirk madewokherd at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 16:38:32 CST 2012

I think it's way too early for this sort of speculation.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that C++ is the primary way
of accessing WinRT APIs. It's apparently a way of doing so, but that
doesn't mean it'll be the way most developers choose.

We also don't know whether the distribution model for WinRT apps even
makes it possible for us to obtain many such apps. Presumably, we
won't have a way to just download the files from the Win8 store.
Sideloading will most likely (but might not) be possible, but if so
Wine's usefulness will be limited to apps that can be obtained in that
way.

I've also been told that "not supported" doesn't necessarily mean
"won't run", though even if Microsoft isn't signing all their win32
arm binaries it's likely that the arm desktop does not provide a
fully-featured win32 api.

We just have to see what win8-on-arm looks like when it comes out.