Windows-on-Arm won't support win32

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Feb 13 17:50:49 CST 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Vincent Povirk <madewokherd at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know where you're getting the idea that C++ is the primary way
> of accessing WinRT APIs.

?  I was talking about implementing WinRT, not using it.
But it's true, if all apps talk to it via COM, the language
it's implemented in shouldn't matter.  (I guess I'm having
trouble imagining not using C++ to implement a large class library,
but that's just my bias.)

> We also don't know whether the distribution model for WinRT apps even
> makes it possible for us to obtain many such apps. Presumably, we
> won't have a way to just download the files from the Win8 store.
> Sideloading will most likely (but might not) be possible, but if so
> Wine's usefulness will be limited to apps that can be obtained in that
> way.

Yup.   I guess my subject line was the main point of my post:
we shouldn't expect there to be many plain old arm win32 apps.
- Dan