"Known" DLLs

Adam Kłobukowski adamklobukowski at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 11:45:37 CST 2012

Hello

I've been a Wine user for a long time alreadey, since all Wine could do
was running winesweper very slowly ;)

I'd like to propose a feature that could be implemented in Wine.

Wine does not implement all Windows APIs (yet ;)) and big parts of
existing implementations are only stubs. Therefore, it could be usefull
if Wine would be able to detect when a program tries to use a DLL that
is not implememnted, but is easily available for download. .NET, MSXML,
VCRUN* comes in mind. Instead of just failing, Wine could offer advice
to the user how to deal with that.

This could also help with APIs that are mostly stubbed, work for some
use cases, but are expected to fail in other - they could detect if an
app is trying to use unsuported case and take action.

Adam Klobukowski