RFT: Use Greek semicolons for comdlg32's printer status enumeration?

Jerome Leclanche adys.wh at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 12:55:10 CST 2012

2012/2/25 Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr>

> So I would expect the Greek translation to use ano teleia characters as
> the separator but instead it uses plain semicolons:
>
>    msgid "Paused; "
>    msgstr "Σταματημένος; "
>
>    msgid "Error; "
>    msgstr "Σφάλμα; "
>
>    msgid "Busy; "
>    msgstr "Απασχολημένος; "
>

> So I'm hoping some Greek-speaking Wine hacker or user can enlighten me
> on the following points:
>  * Did I understand Wikipedia wrong? Do both English semicolons and
>   question marks translate to a semicolon in Greek?
>
>  * Is this a special case that justifies not following the standard
>   rule? If so why?
>
>  * Does the attached patch replacing semicolons with ano teleia
>   characters make sense?

(Greek is my second native language)

- You understood Wikipedia correctly, a latin semicolon character is always
interpreted as a questionmark.
- You will never find a semicolon used as anything else in (proper) Greek.
There are no special cases. Though you'll commonly find people using a
latin questionmark instead of a semicolon online.
- I don't think an ano telia would be appropriate for this. To be honest I
don't even find a semicolon appropriate in English here.
I don't build with printing support but it sounds to me like it would be
more appropriate to use a comma, or a dash.

J. Leclanche