po: zh_TW translation updates

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Mon Feb 27 16:10:52 CST 2012

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
[...]
> - some of the changes are over-eager: i.e. it "improves" on windows
> and tried to be more user-friendly, but not exactly how windows does
> it.
>
> I think there should be a notes on the translation FAQ: one is not
> looking to be "better than" windows, but bug-for-bug-compatible.
> Therefore translation is preferably what regional/localized windows
> (whatever version) does.
>
> 20% of the world's population is Chinese, I am sure it is easy enough
> to do a few screenshots of localized windows (be in traditional or
> simplied) and show how those behave.
>
> There is a definitive answer (or "definition answers") to most of
> these translation strings: what localized windows (some version) does.
> It is not up to individual or group opinions, really. I mean, public
> libraries, etc have windows in the far east, there is no excuse to be
> wrong, or on the opposite extreme, "try to improve on windows", even
> if one does not want to get one's hand dirty and own a windows box.

The dialog labels and error messages are an area where we don't need to
and don't want to be word for word identical to Windows.

We should definitely follow the Windows User Experience Interaction
Guidelines:

The Windows GUI is certainly be a valuable resource to determine which
terms the users are going to be familiar with (e.g. will they more
readily understand 'directory' or 'folder'). That said Wine runs on
Linux and Mac OS X so Wine's users will likely be somewhat accustomed to
the terms used by these platforms too.

But in any case blindly copying all the strings from the Windows GUI
would be a very bad idea.

                            $live{free} || die "";