[Wine] Rethinking WineConf

gurketsky gurketsky at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 12 02:36:56 CST 2012

Am 11.01.2012 16:23, schrieb Stefan Dösinger:
> Am Dienstag, 10. Januar 2012, 23:00:38 schrieb Marcus Meissner:
>> - Users ... as this was brought up
>>
>>    Reality check: Wine users will not travel 100s of kms to a standalone
>> conference.
>>
>>    This would make sense only if we attach wineconf to another general
>> conference
> An unconventional thought crossed my mind: Attach it to one of those gigantic
> Lan parties like the DreamHack. A big number of private users are gamers, this
> might catch some of them.
>
> Of course we can't simultanously attach it to a Lan party and a classic
> conference, but we can variate things over the years.
We used wine to get COD2 running on Vista with wined3d and an intel chip
on a private LAN party. It worked, but I couldn't comment on the
rendering quality anymore. Well the game is old and I think a normal
windows user would never try something like this. So using wine at LAN
parties might be a good idea to get more attention and to arrive new users.