To translate 'Program Files' or not to translate?

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Jan 17 12:48:11 CST 2012

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012, Jerome Leclanche wrote:

> We could translate the path and setup an English symlink automatically if
> possible?

I don't think that's a good option. I think our two options are:

 1) Translate the folder names that need to be translated using
    the resource files.
 2) Or don't translate the folder names at all and use desktop.ini files
    so they appear to be localized in the GUI (which may require
    further development in various parts).

(2) is really the way things are going these days, I belive even Gnome
is doing it that way. So inventing our own solution really does not
sound like a good idea to me (plus it has a lot of issues with duplicate
names and when you change the locale).

I think it's reasonable to do (2) even without adding support for
desktop.ini files right now. And really here I'm just interested in what
to do with these resource strings.

        It really galls me that most of the computer power in the world
                          is wasted on screen savers.
                     Chris Caldwell from the GIMPS project
                       http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm