In-process wineserver

Juan Lang juan.lang at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 11:01:33 CST 2012

Hi Daniel,

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 3:15 AM, Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.org> wrote:
> Daniel Santos <danielfsantos at att.net> writes:
>
>> I've updated my in-process wineserver hack, cleaned it up a bit more and
>> fixed a few problems.  So, at least in Star Wars Battlefront II, the
>> sound and HID problems are fixed (the "select" server call must be made
>> via the pipe).  I presume there are other server calls with similar
>> properties.  Also, the wineserver now exits properly and cleans up it's
>> instance when the main process terminates.  Changed the enabling
>> enviroment variable to "WINESPEEDHACK".
>>
>> So what would it take for this to be integrated into wine as an optional
>> feature?
>
> You'll probably have to kill me first ;-)

a more serious reply:  you may not be aware the Transgaming did just
such a thing years ago, and lobbied pretty heavily for it to be
included.  AJ declined at the time.  The reasons for not including it
remain the same:  because of the possibility of a buggy app taking
down the wineserver, we couldn't ever attempt to support such a beast.
 Any bug reported against it would be suspect.  Worse, people might
report bugs neglecting to mention that they'd enabled it.

So no, we really won't ever include such a feature as part of an
official release around here.  We already have enough trouble with
people reporting bugs in unsupported configurations.

You're welcome to maintain your own fork, or maintain your patch for
people to try in their own Wine builds if they like.
--Juan