po: Fix the accelerator key specifications in the French translation.

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Jan 24 08:41:40 CST 2012

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012, Frédéric Delanoy wrote:

> 2012/1/24 Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr>:
> > ---
> >  po/fr.po |    4 ++--
> >  1 files changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)
>
> -msgstr "&Effacer\tDel"
> +msgstr "&Effacer\tSuppr"
>
> -msgstr "P&lein écran\tCtrl+Shift+S"
> +msgstr "P&lein écran\tCtrl+Maj+S"
>
> Don't know about other non-France originating French keyboards, but
> here (Belgium) on most keyboards, Del and Shift keys are physical
> present on all keyboards (as are Home, PgDown, ...).

The keys are present too on French keyboards but are labeled
differently.
 * The 'Del' key is labeled 'Suppr'.
 * The 'Shift', 'Enter', 'Backspace', 'Home', 'End', 'Page Up/Down'
   ones often have icons on them rather than text.

But what's written on keyboards tends to vary quite a bit from one model
to the next. I certainly once had some French keyboards with keys
labeled as 'Shift', 'Del', 'Entrée' or even 'Enter'. Some might have
been old and not reflect the current usage anymore but I don't know.

The critical factors however is how Windows and/or Gnome refer to
these keys:
 * In Notepad's Edit menu 'Del' is referred to as 'Suppr', as well as in
   Firefox's Edit menu on Linux.
 * In Windows 7's 'Services de texte et de langues' they refer to 'MAJ'
   as the key that unlocks capslock.
 * In Firefox's Tools menu, they refer to 'Shift' as 'Maj', as in
   'Ctrl+Maj+Suppr' for instance.

Interestingly, among the 35 languages that Windows 7 Ultimate supports,
there's no Belgian option (or any other French variant, and changing the
location or formatting setting to Belgium has no impact). That probably
means that users in Belgium or other French-speaking countries must be
used to this terminology.

                           La terre est une bêta...