Command line parameters

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jun 8 01:03:30 CDT 2012

On 7 Jun 2012, at 21:04, Dan Kegel wrote:

> John wrote:
>> FWIW the Windows app launches perfectly if I use execl() in the Linux app - and in fact, this has all worked perfectly for years.
>
> That's great.  Do you actually pass filenames?

Yes, our host app is cross-platform (Windows, Linux and OS-X).  On all 3 platforms it passes a file path to the Windows/Wine client app.  On Windows, this file will be in the user's "My Documents" folder (e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]) so there's a very good chance that in non-English locales, the user name might have non-Latin characters.  For that reason we specifically have to make a translation from UTF-8 ourselves.

However, it only occurred to me a few days ago that (even though we don't translate the file path on the non-Windows platforms) nobody has ever complained.  This suggests either that the paths (on those platforms) never have names with non-Latin characters - or that Wine is silently making the conversion for us.

To be honest, I've no easy way of knowing which explanation is the true one.  In fact, they could both be true!

John