A copyright question to wine developpers

Christophe-Marie Duquesne chmd at chmd.fr
Mon Jun 11 08:50:55 CDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Ricardo Filipe
<ricardojdfilipe at gmail.com> wrote:
> yeah, what happens is the header is reimplemented, not simply
> copy-pasted from Windows.
> Even if the API is not copyrighted, the header contents still are.

Well if you rewrite a header such that it is 100% compatible with an
API (which means: 0 change in client code), it has to be very similar
to the one the API came from.
- The macros have to be the same, in order to expand the same way in client code
- The function names have to be the same as well
- Same goes for the typedefs
- The header name also has to remain the same.

What can be different:
- function argument names
- indentation
- comments

In the end, it seemed pretty silly to me to do that. But, if that is
the solution to my copyright problem, I am doing it!