Command line parameters

Hin-Tak Leung hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 7 15:43:16 CDT 2012

--- On Thu, 7/6/12, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:

> John wrote:
> > from what Hin-Tak said earlier, it sounds like Wine
> itself will translate any paths that I pass as a command
> line parameter (or did I misunderstand that?)
>
> Example:
>    wine notepad /home/dank/foo.txt
> This fails because notepad treats / as the beginning of an
> option (see http://source.winehq.org/source/programs/notepad/main.c#L616
> ).
>
> So, no, Wine doesn't translate arguments for you.

It would probably work in any of these though:

z:/home/dank/foo.txt
h:/foo.txt
\\home\\dank\\foo.txt
h:\\foo.txt

(the double backslash for its been interpreted by bash, or whatever shell you use)

or
cd /home/dank && wine notepad foo.txt

> > FWIW the Windows app launches perfectly if I use
> execl() in the Linux app - and in fact, this has all worked
> perfectly for years.
>
> That's great.  Do you actually pass filenames?
> - Dan

That probably means it does not use "/" for options .  ("-" or no options at all?).