Instructions for using JACK with with Wine's ALSA output on wiki: reverted twice

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Sun Mar 11 11:15:40 CDT 2012

On 03/11/2012 06:31 AM, Alex Bradbury wrote:
> Recently user 'falktx' posted instructions on the Sound wiki page on
> how to set up an ALSA to JACK bridge that would work with Wine. He did
> this at the suggestion of aeikum:
>
> 14:45<@aeikum>  okay. so it is possible to get this working correctly.
> that's good to know
> 14:46<  falktx>  I can make a small package with my setup scripts
> 14:47<@aeikum>  that might be handy to put up on the sound wiki page
> http://wiki.winehq.org/Sound
>
> If you look at the page edit history, you'll see the content has been
> reverted twice by Vitaliy without comment:
> http://wiki.winehq.org/Sound?action=info
>
> Please can you (wine developers) clarify your position on this. It
> seems to be useful content for the wiki that will benefit a number of
> users and I can see no justification for deleting it. It could be
> argued it clutters up the Sound wiki page, in which case it should be
> moved to a separate page linked to from there.

That information simply does not belong on Wine wiki. It talks about making
Jack work as Alsa sound device. This has nothing to do with Wine in
particular. Especially that he posted the link to an external wiki which has
most of this information.

Let me make it a bit more clear, Wine is huge and it uses lots and lots of
system libraries, packages, subsystems, features, and so on. Unless some
information directly related to Wine it should not be posted on the Wine
wiki. Or we'll end up with a huge collection of generic Linux/OS
X/BSD/ARM/etc articles that will rot over time.

Vitaliy.