Are we the reason Apple isn't helping us?

Ralph Little littlesincanada at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 11 18:08:51 CDT 2012

Hi,
One of the reasons I suspect for filing a "proper" bug report in this
case is to discern what the core problem is.

If Wine headers and Objective C headers do not co-operate, the solution
is the arbitration of a mutually acceptable solution, not the assumption
of a (not unbiased) party as to where the "fault" is. Bear in mind, in
this case, there is not necessarily a fault at all. Wine replaces
Windows and Windows expects to be the primary platform. There are bound
to be conflicts with other packages such as Objective C runtime
components since both platforms will be trying to assert basic typedef
norms for the environment.

The proper method would be to present the problem to the Wine
developers, explain the situation and negotiate a solution which all are
happy with. I don't really understand why Jeremy feels that he cannot
properly deal with the situation. If he is prevented by Apple from
dealing with the Wine developers for fear of smoke-signalling some
future Apple development, then he is already in the wrong and he would,
I am sure, not forgive you for making such a public fuss on this list.

Let it pass and learn from the experience.

Cheers,
Ralph