GSoC proposal

Qian Hong fracting at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 09:49:52 CDT 2012

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 10:30 PM, Aric Stewart <aric at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  As a developer who has done a lot of work in the IME/XIM areas of wine I
> thought I would chime in.
>
>  The IME/XIM stuff sounds interesting but I am really not sure how useful it
> is going to be. I will have to review what the GSoC outline is like but it
> feels like something that would not really get into wine not would regularly
> get used by people outside of wine.  If you want to flesh it out a bit more
> I could maybe see where you are going with it but it feels more like a
> project "Making use of Wine" instead of "Improving Wine"
>
>  This is not a discouragement, just an invitation to sell it to me more.
> Make me see why you think this would be good for IME in Wine.

IMO using win32 IME on Linux is necessary for some people. In fact even
most Chinese users don't know how many Chinese IMEs there exist, some
of them have no alternative at all. Also, some handwriting input method
editors and some speech-to-text input method editors have no
alternative on Linux. Another reason to implement win32 IME bridge is,
some win32 IME, such as sogou pinyin, google pinyin, are much better than
there alternative on Linux ( ibus-pinyin, sunpinyin), maybe it is hard to
understanded by non Chinese users...

--
Regards,
Qian Hong