Need suggestion to choose a GSoC idea

Aric Stewart aric at codeweavers.com
Tue Mar 27 06:56:32 CDT 2012

Hi,

On 3/26/12 10:29 PM, Qian Hong wrote:
> - Improve Wine CJK font support
>
> The main idea is fix Bug 16325 [11], Aric and others have done a lot of work
> on it, and I'm glad to participating too. I think the main blocker for Wine
> CJK font support is Font Association now, is it suitable for a GSoC project?
> Also I've filed some other Wine font bugs [12],[13],[14],[15],[16], I'm happy
> to working on them.

Oh, I would love this. However speaking from experience font code is
very hard. You would need to directly specify what you wanted to try to
do and what needs improvement. The code there is very messy and fragile
but also critical so it gets tricky to make any sweeping modifications.

> - Improve Wine font test case
>
> This idea is similar with the above one, however, instead of fixing real bugs,
> this idea is to prevent new bugs(regression). As having filed 100+ bugs I know
> the pain of doing regression test if we can't script the test, this happens on
> font related bugs.
>
> The main idea is to integrate an OCR engine to wine testcase, use ORC method
> to detect whether the fonts display correctly. We already have very good open
> source ORC engine [17] which is in Apache License.  However tesseract-ocr is
> written in C++ an I am worring that will not be integrated to Wine code tree.

I dont know if we need OCR.  With the dib engine if we have a known font
we can probably just do bitmap compares. I am not an expert here but it
sounds interesting.

-aric