Mono?!?

Vincent Povirk madewokherd at gmail.com
Thu May 31 23:34:58 CDT 2012

Yes, that was added in today's Git. When you do a prefix update, and a
recent wine-mono (or native .NET) isn't installed, Wine will try to
install it from a system location, and if that fails it will ask to
download it. The wine-mono install is limited to your Wine prefix, and
you don't have to have Mono on your host system. If you don't have the
wine-mono msi package on your system, and you cancel the download, it
won't be installed.

If you don't want to use it, and the dialog annoys you, override
mscoree to disabled or native-only. Apps that don't need .NET should
still work fine, but it's not a supported configuration.

I can respect irrational dislike. I sort of feel that way about Java
(I'll generally avoid any software that requires it). But the ideal of
Wine is for all programs to just work like on Windows, and we can't
get there for .NET apps without this change.