Mono?!?

Conan Kudo (ニール・ゴンパ) ngompa13 at gmail.com
Thu May 31 23:40:52 CDT 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 11:36 PM, Max TenEyck Woodbury <
max at mtew.isa-geek.net> wrote:

> On 05/31/2012 11:05 PM, Conan Kudo (ニール・ゴンパ) wrote:
> > On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 10:00 PM, Max TenEyck Woodbury
> > <max at mtew.isa-geek.net <mailto:max at mtew.isa-geek.net>**> wrote:
> >
> >     When did WINE start requiring MONO?
> >
> >     I have a VERY strong DISLIKE for MONO and do NOT want it on my
> machines.
> >
> >     Seems to be a recent addition.  Is it possible to NOT use it? PLEASE!
> >

> > First off, what is your beef with Mono? It's a decent technology that
> > makes .NET available on non-Windows platforms.
> >
> > Secondly, the wine-mono addon is optional, I believe. You do not have to
> > install it.
>
> My beef (as you call it, it is more an outright RAGE in fact) is
> PATENTS. Mono uses Microsoft's own technology that are covered by their
> STINKING patents, making any system that has them installed vulnerable
> to all kinds of legal hassles if Microsoft decides to get nastier than
> they already are.
>
> And the installation request when running 'make test' does NOT mention
> that you have the option of NOT installing the beast!  So it does NOT
> look like it is OPTIONAL.
>
> If it IS optional, then there should be a clear way to REMOVE it, and
> while I have not looked at the situation long enough to find out how to
> remove it, I did not see something as obvious as an 'uninstall-mono'
> script.
>
> The ONLY way I could trust MONO is if it had a GPL 3+ or LGPL 3+
> license that had been court tested and was therefore immune to
> Microsoft's legal shenanigans.  I do NOT believe any of the other FOSS
> and definitely the plain OSS licenses provide the necessary protection.
>
> And, yes, I am more than a little crazed on this subject.

You realize that Microsoft has a legally binding irrevocable agreement to
not assert patents on .NET implementations that comply with the standard,
right? Mono falls under that. I wouldn't worry about patents when it comes
to Mono. We're more likely to have problems on the Java side of things than
with Mono.