Call for papers - FOSDEM 2013

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Nov 2 11:28:32 CDT 2012

Francois wrote:

> (*) A particularly interesting one to me is testing untrusted code on
> real hardware (with possible approaches being direct access to a
> graphics card from within a VM

I had some fun googling your wishlist.  Presumably you've seen some of
these links already:

http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_VGA_Passthrough
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/10/nvidias-vgx-cards-bring-big-graphics-performance-to-virtual-machines/

> or network booting (plus remote
> controlled power switch?), Grub tricks).

http://www.amd64.org/support/automated-test-infrastructure.html looks
like it does all of the above?
http://developer.amd.com/tools/opensource/AMDTapper/Pages/default.aspx

A few other possibly interesting links:
http://wiki.debian.org/GrubReboot
http://www.passmark.com/products/rebooter.htm
http://people.redhat.com/mrodrigu/slides/linuxcon-2011-autotest-lmr
There are many similar pages, all somewhat buried, stale, and possibly
too specific.

> Another may be testing on non-VM friendly OSes, specifically Mac OS X,
> though that may just be a matter of doing a more in-depth Google search
> to find a legal and libvirt-compatible solution.

vmware seems to work, though I haven't tried it myself yet:
http://lsimons.wordpress.com/2011/06/02/libvirt-vmware-fusion-mac-os-x/

- Dan