The EFF is asking for our help explaining why APIs should not be copyrightable

GOUJON Alexandre ale.goujon at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 12:39:03 CST 2012

On 11/09/2012 06:29 PM, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/11/no-copyrights-apis-help-us-make-case
>

> There are court cases pending that are very, very relevant to what we
> do here.  It would help the EFF very much if a few engineers could
> send them a short email statement explaining how Wine's
> reimplementation of the API is good for interoperability and competition.
>
> Thanks,
> Scott Ritchie
I thought the "Google vs Oracle Java API" case made it clear that API
are not copyrightable but apparently, that's not the case.
(See
http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/california/candce/3:2010cv03561/231846/1202)

I can't comment further as I'm neither a lawer nor american.
I only hope EFF will definitly close this debate.