Any advice please... Console input issue

Ann and Jason Edmeades jason at edmeades.me.uk
Fri Nov 9 15:49:50 CST 2012

Hello,

I've been looking at a patch which sorts out NUL and CON handling in a part
of the command shell, and have stumbled upon a problem I am not sure how to
fix because I really dont understand the underlying console handling, and
would appreciate someone pointing me in a direction.

For simplicity sake I've cut this down to a tiny test program, which works
on windows and fails on wine which does the following:
Opens the device ("\\.\CON") with CreateFile with GENERIC_READ rights
(which internally opens a CONIN$ device with the same access rights)
Reads from the device with ReadFile
- Because its a console device, this drops through to ReadConsoleW, which
creates a CONOUT$ and then waits on a keystroke
- Once the key is pressed (WCEL_Get) the key is 'inserted' into the input
buffer by calling WriteConsoleInputW

The issue is that WriteConsoleInputW requires GENERIC_WRITE access, but the
CON device (\\.\CON) was opened as GENERIC_READ (and in fact fails if I try
to open it with GENERIC_WRITE). CreateFile("CONIN$"...) will let me open in
GENERIC_READ/GENERIC_WRITE mode and the program works on both windows and
wine, but if you open CONIN$ GENERIC_READ only then it fails on wine and
works on windows, with the same issue.

Now on windows, this works... the question is how to make it work on
wine...

My gut feeling, with nothing backing this at all, is that WCEL_Get should
not use WriteConsoleInputW to inject the values into the input buffer,
instead making the server call directly, but passing through to the server
call something to indicate that it is ok to add the data to the buffer, but
I'm fast getting out of my depth!

Thanks for any help!  I'll file a bug with my analysis and testcase, but
would rather fix the thing!

Jason