[5/6] start: Support getting the file to open by AppleEvent. (resend)

Per Johansson per at morth.org
Tue Sep 25 04:29:14 CDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Sep 2012, Per Johansson wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I should probably add a note that when I wrote this I had some doubts it
> it
> > belongs in start.exe, and I still somewhat do.
> >
> > The alternative would be to write a new program. The advantage to that
> is:
>
> Start.exe already has a /unix option so adding a /AppleEvent one may
> make sense.
>
> I have two questions though (I apologize if careful reading the patch
> would answer them).
>
> How would this new /AppleEvent option be used?

It will be used in file type association scripts created by winemenubuilder
(patch 6/6). You won't invoke it manually since it only makes sense if
there's an AppleEvent waiting to be delivered. The AppleEvent is sent to an
application by OS X when you open a document.

 Is AppleEvent how they call DDE on Mac OS X<g>?

Pretty much, details differ but it serves the same function. AppleEvents
have existed since 1991 and are pretty much unchanged since then at the API
level. Mac OS prefers a single instance of each application and the events
are therefore sent by the OS instead of a new instance of the application.

This patch only checks for an event at launch, but since it usually
immediately exits it's then ready to relaunch and check for another event.

Regards,
--
Per Johansson