open bugs / multi thread / recommendation on new system

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Aug 19 09:14:18 CDT 2013

Damian wrote:
> 1) ATI or nVidia for new GPU? Does SLI/Crossfire work with wine?

Don't know.  I just use nvidia cards I find in the trash :-)  But then
I don't actually play games, so I don't care about 3d performance.

> 2) FX 8320 or intel same price class CPU? As the AMD has far inferior
> single thread performance but far superior multi thread performance -
> does wine run a win32 single thread app as multi thread? does wine
> make use of multithread in general?

For what it's worth, when I was paying attention to such things, the command
  for cpu in `seq 0 3` do; sudo cpufreq-set -g performance -c $cpu; done
is needed to get reasonable performance on my A8, see
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.wine.devel/86659
Perhaps this also applies to more capable amd chips and current linux.

wine just maps threads one to one, there is no magic.
If the game uses multiple threads, then wine uses multiple threads.

Rather than ask abstract questions here, you should probably go ask
for framerates on specific games on the wine forum.