[AppDB] How to deal with hardware/driver dependent test result?

Rosanne DiMesio dimesio at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 28 07:40:10 CDT 2013

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 11:57:26 +0800
Felix Yan <felixonmars at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm maintaining Spore 1.0, and it works correctly in wine for over a year on Nvidia video card with closed-source nvidia driver - but I do noticed with Intel cards with open source drivers, the game is nearly not playable - missing texture and more problems.
>
> Today comes in a new test result that mark the game as "Garbage", while the description is exactly what happened on my laptop with Intel chip. What should I do about this? To proceed with the test result and change the game to "Garbage" stage, or reject with "Nvidia cards works fine"? I don't think either is fine, so I come to the list for help.

Unless there's some other reason to reject the report (insufficient detail, internal inconsistency, etc.), it's a valid report. The AppDB is for information, not advertising, and we don't censor reports just because they give a low rating.

It's not clear from what you say, however, whether the report even mentioned what graphics card and driver were used. If not, you could ask the user to add that information and resubmit. Many maintainers of games require that information, and IMO, that's a good practice for games entries.

--
Rosanne DiMesio <dimesio at earthlink.net>