Implement pinned memory for ATI where buffer regions are slow

Henri Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 14:24:08 CST 2013

On 17 February 2013 15:40, Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger at gmail.com> wrote:
> Am 17.02.2013 um 14:25 schrieb Stanislaw Halik <sthalik at misaki.pl>:
>> Security impact is nil - Win32 can reference the extension regardless. Well-written code won't expose the issue. Patch is a bit messed up WRT lack of binding back to 0 in some places, but that'll be amended.
> I basically agree with this - the problem with this extension is that the driver exports it. If we're using it or not doesn't really have a security impact.

Sure, I just think it's a terrible extension, not necessarily that
supporting it would have security impact for Wine. (Although once you
go there, an application e.g. locking up the system becomes
potentially a Wine bug, not automatically a driver bug.) The other
consideration is that I don't want to encourage other drivers to
implement this kind of extension. Of course that's all aside from all
the generic arguments against having multiple code paths for
essentially the same thing, and the increased complexity that comes
with that.