Failing tests in the Japanese and Hebrew languages

Akihiro Sagawa sagawa.aki at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 08:30:57 CST 2013

Did you change ANSI codepage? As you may know, Japanese (codepage
932) is not compatible with Windows 1252 except for 7-bit ASCII
characters. So you have to change codepage settings, Language for
Non-Unicode Programs, in the Control Panel.

Most of wine test try to run ANSI version of APIs. Language specific
texts (e.g. error messages, startup folder name, day of week names, font
face name) aren't represented properly in other codepages.

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 10:52:06 +0100 (CET), Francois Gouget wrote:
> * comctl32:listview (Hebrew and Japanese)
>   listview.c:3822: Test failed: Expected 96, got 112
>   listview.c:4751: Test failed: Expected 96, got 112
>
>   Both correspond to the use of GetDeviceCaps(LOGPIXELSX) so something
>   must be wrong there:
>   todo_wine expect(((GetDeviceCaps(hdc, LOGPIXELSX) + 15) / 16) * 16, rect.right);
>   todo_wine expect(((GetDeviceCaps(hdc, LOGPIXELSX) + 15) / 16) * 16, ret);

It seems that this size depends on window appearance. I changed font
size of "Icon" in "Window Color and Appearance" window. The test was
passed in "Tahoma 8", but failed in "Meiryo 9", Japanese default
settings in Windows 7. The default settings were "Tahoma 8" in Windows
XP era, thus the testbot doesn't complain about this.

(skip Hebrew topic...)
> * rpcrt4:rpc (Japanese only)
>   rpc.c:171: Test failed: DceErrorInqTextA(deviation...)
>
>   Based on the comment it does not seem surprising that this would
>   be language-specific:
>         /* One for which FormatMessage should succeed but
>          * DceErrorInqText should "fail"
>          * 3814 is generally quite a long message
>          */

Yes, I verified DceErrorInqTextA returned language-specific message on
native Windows. I guess this caused by ANSI conversion error. But it is
curious why test on line 164 was succeeded.
Anyway, these tests succeeded on my PC, Japanese Windows 7 (x64).

> * shell32:progman_dde (Hebrew and Japanese)
>   progman_dde.c:377: Test failed: Window "?????" was not created in 45 seconds - assumed failure. [S_G:11]
>
>   Based on the 'S_G:11' this would correspond to this line:
>   ShowGroupTest(instance, hConv, "[ShowGroup(Startup,0)]", DMLERR_NO_ERROR, "Startup", StartupTitle, TRUE, DDE_TEST_SHOWGROUP|testnum++);

Ditto. There is ANSI conversion error, too. I guess "?????" is localized
startup folder name that didn't convert into Windows 1252 characters.
This test also succeeded on my PC.

Regards,
Akihiro Sagawa