Failing tests in the Japanese and Hebrew languages

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Mon Feb 18 13:55:53 CST 2013

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013, Akihiro Sagawa wrote:

> Did you change ANSI codepage? As you may know, Japanese (codepage
> 932) is not compatible with Windows 1252 except for 7-bit ASCII
> characters. So you have to change codepage settings, Language for
> Non-Unicode Programs, in the Control Panel.

Not specifically no. My understanding is that Windows 7 has essentially
three separate locales. In this case we see that the test ran with:
http://test.winehq.org/data/c41f6add0563252a5809c3c83cbb6a6e6f81c2d9/win7_fg-win7u64-1spie9-ja/version.html

 * SystemDefaultLCID = 409
   This is the system locale and it is set to English.
   http://www.sisulizer.com/_img/codepage-problems/w7-region-and-language-administrative.jpg

 * UserDefaultLCID = 40c
   The user locale here is set to French and determines the date / time
   format, number format, currency, etc.
   http://www.sisulizer.com/_img/codepage-problems/w7-regions-and-languages-formats.jpg

 * UserDefaultUILanguage = 411
   And this is the 'Display Language' which determines which language
   will be used for the GUI. Here it is set to Japanese.
   http://www.sisulizer.com/_img/codepage-problems/w7-region-and-language-languages.jpg

It's important for Wine to know which setting each API is impacted by.
That's why I normally try to use different locales and display
languages. I must admit I did not particularly pay attention to the
system locale setting so all my VMs have it just set to English. But I'd
like to keep it set differently from the others.

I'd further argue that it's up to Wine's conformance tests to skip tests
that don't make sense in the current environment. For instance there are
tests where compare a result against a known English string, so these
tests are skipped if running in a non-English locale (and here checking
the right locale out of the three is crucial).

Do you know of a specific test that fails because the system locale is
currently set to English?

        It really galls me that most of the computer power in the world
                          is wasted on screen savers.
                     Chris Caldwell from the GIMPS project
                       http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm