RFC: Remove auto-scan of ALSA devices from winealsa.drv (and get repeatable behaviour)

Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Tue Jan 22 04:15:59 CST 2013

Hi,

please view the winmm:wave test results from Francois Gouget's machines
fg-acer64-t32 fg-acer64-wow32
fg-acer64-t64 fg-acer64-wow64
http://test.winehq.org/data/dabde6a04f6d02233bc5074a8eba613b2c4adc68/index_Linux.html#winmm:wave

Is their configuration the same except for 32/64bit?

We see 3 types of results
2x: 2 devices, no ALSA "default" device(!), one HDA-An, one HDA-HDMI
1x: 3 devices incl. ALSA "default", all tests successful
1x: 3 devices incl. ALSA "default", dev. 1 HDA-An yields MMSYSERR_ALLOCATED

Is their configuration truly the same?
Is that yet another aretefact of ALSA device enumeration?  It could well be.

Again, I argue in favor of removing the enumeration code.  I want
users to get repeatable results.  I don't want Wine's winmm to map
device 0 as ALSA "default" on one run and "HDMI-An" on another run.

Andrew Eikum was in favour of this too and since implemented winmm
device notification upon change.  Remember the December thread:
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2012-December/098114.html

Of course, the winecfg/GUI issue need be addressed.

Regards,
	Jörg Höhle