RFC: Remove auto-scan of ALSA devices from winealsa.drv (and get repeatable behaviour)

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Tue Jan 22 09:25:00 CST 2013

Andrew Eikum <aeikum at codeweavers.com> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 11:15:59AM +0100, Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com wrote:
>> Andrew Eikum was in favour of this too and since implemented winmm
>> device notification upon change.  Remember the December thread:
>> http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2012-December/098114.html
>>

> Yeah, I still think it's a good idea. Assuming we remove enumeration
> and add a good UI to manually add devices, there were two unanswered
> objections raised in the last thread.
>
> 1) We still want to do this, but want a better way to do this (i.e.
> work with upstream to make a good enumeration API)
>
> This still requires us to gut our existing enumeration, so I guess you
> can think of it in two pieces: remove the existing enumeration, and
> add "good" enumeration should that ever exist. So let's do step one
> now and maybe step two if it becomes possible.
>
> 2) Each new prefix will require manual configuration
>
> This is true now, but it would be a larger pain if the user has to add
> a device in addition to selecting it. Is there some existing mechanism
> for users to customize prefixes when they're created? Should there be?

I still fail to see how this would be an improvement. If the enumeration
doesn't give good results in some cases the heuristics could be
improved, and/or fixed upstream, but getting rid of it is not a
solution. At least on my setup, the current code is working just fine,
and offering the devices I expect, without any manual configuration.
That's how it should work for everybody.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org