RFC: Remove auto-scan of ALSA devices from winealsa.drv (and get repeatable behaviour)

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Tue Jan 22 11:15:23 CST 2013

<Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com> writes:

> Alexandre Julliard wrote:
>>At least on my setup, the current code is working just fine, and offering
>>the devices I expect, without any manual configuration.
> Are you using PulseAudio?
> I believe that *every* user with PulseAudio is bound to see the flakiness
> that happened on Francois' machine.  So from these users' (Ubuntu, Fedora?)
> POV, the current code is not the _least_ working fine.

If PulseAudio can't provide good enumeration, then we can detect that
case and handle it differently. That doesn't mean we can break normal
ALSA setups.

> I do agree that a clickable list of ALSA devices is nicer to handle than
> "Please enter the names of your ALSA device(s) into this textfield if it is not simply "default".
>
> OTOH, "default" should be enough for the large majority of users, and
> there should be no need in many, many use cases to go and seek another
> device name like:
> - surround51 - 5:1 users will need to add something like that, sorry
> - some_jack_device - Jack users will know their ALSA device names
>   because they need to configure other Jack-ALSA using applications anyway.
> - any other use case???

My use case is a soundcard plus a USB headset; that's a fairly common
setup these days. I want to see both devices in apps that offer device
selection, and pick the one appropriate for that app, without messing
with winecfg. That works now, and it should continue to work.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org