[wine-devel] Re: Bug 24018 which appears to be a showstopper for running Cygwin on Wine

David Laight david at l8s.co.uk
Mon Jul 1 17:12:46 CDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 06:13:26PM +0200, Peter Rosin wrote:

> I would like to point out that it seems that the current bug does not
> appear to be *in* setup.exe, but rather occurs when setup.exe runs
> a bash post-install script, where the bash.exe that interprets the
> script depends on cygwin1.dll. If my analysis is correct, the bug
> would occur also when duplicating the actions of setup.exe manually.

If you read into what cygwin does when trying to emulate fork() it
is surprising it works at all!

Putting some effort into getting the shell (be it bash or an ash derivative)
and gmake to use posix_spawn() instead of fork() and adding posix_spawn()
to cygwin (for which patches are avaiable) would speed up cygwin no end
and probably avoid  some of these bugs (and the random fork failed errors).

One day I'll get annoyed at some issues with cygwin and start fixing them!
(Like getting ^C to work for windows console programs in mintty windows.)

	David

David Laight: david at l8s.co.uk