How not to ask for help Re: [wine-devel] Re: [wine-devel] Re: Bug 24018 which appears to be a ... for running Cygwin on Wine

Hin-Tak Leung htl10 at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jul 1 22:17:03 CDT 2013

--- On Tue, 2/7/13, Alan W. Irwin <irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:

> > Going personal and accusing others of being biased is
> not a way of
> getting help.

...In short, I have
> prejudice against anyone stating anecdotal evidence
> concerning issues
> with _any_ open-source software if they don't back up that
> anecdotal
> evidence with a solid bug report.  For example, you
> stated some
> anecdotal evidence about a bug in Cygwin "cat", but when I
> requested a
> reference for your associated bug report to Cygwin you were
> silent.
> That told me a lot.

That tells you only one thing: I don't care about Cygwin enough now to bother filing one more bug among those already filed. My time is more valuable than that. 13 years ago I used it daily and I made my own contributions, and that was then. Half of the time I file bugs on various projects because I have patches to attach/send, and this is not the case with cygwin now, and will not be. I don't intend to file a bug because I don't intend spend time fixing it. You wish.

I am not the one asking for help - you are. Launching personal attacks on people trying to help you is just not the way to do it. Nor is exaggeration, nor is 20-line of [lack of] life included in every e-mail.

If you want help, ask for it, nicely, and keep it short.