RFC: Three dots or Unicode ellipsis character

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed Jul 3 09:45:24 CDT 2013

Wine uses three dots (...) rather than the Unicode ellipsis character
(…) except in the Czech and Taiwanese translations that use the Unicode
ellipsis character.

I think we should be consistent but the question is which to use.

I looked at the Windows interface guidelines and they don't have
anything to say on this.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa974176.aspx#punctuation
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa511453.aspx#ellipses

Looking at what other platforms do, the Apple interface guidelines
recommend using the Unicode ellipsis character saying assistive
technologies need it. The GNOME and KDE guidelines don't have an
official position but seem to use the Unicode character anyway:

http://simos.info/blog/archives/17

So should we go with the flow and switch to using ellipsis characters or
should we stick with three dots?

                              145 = 1! + 4! + 5!