RFC: Three dots or Unicode ellipsis character

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu Jul 4 10:00:28 CDT 2013

On Wed, 3 Jul 2013, Francois Gouget wrote:

> Wine uses three dots (...) rather than the Unicode ellipsis character
> (…) except in the Czech and Taiwanese translations that use the Unicode
> ellipsis character.
>
> I think we should be consistent but the question is which to use.

Ah found it. Akihiro Sagawa had sent me a link to Microsoft's Language
Portal with language-specific Style Guides:

https://www.microsoft.com/Language/en-us/StyleGuides.aspx

The Japanese one says:
   In Japanese, use three half-width periods as used in the source text.

So that settles it. While I was at it I also checked for some other
languages:

Simplified Chinese:
   English (...) is used in both software and document localization.

Traditional Chinese:
   English (...) is used in both software and document localization.
   Keep in mind the following when using ellipses/suspension points:
   If a UI containing ellipses appears in a descriptive string or
   procedural steps, you could omit ellipses.
     Click "About..." for more information.
     如需詳細資訊,請按一下 [關於]。
     "About..." is a UI. When it is enclosed in [ ], ellipses should be
     omitted.

Czech:
   Ellipsis is commonly used both in English and Czech UI to denote a
   control (such as a push button or a menu item) that invokes a dialog
   window where the user enters additional input (such as Browse... =
   (+) Procházet...). Please that due to compatibility concerns, the
   ellipsis character (ALT+0133) should not be used in these cases. Use
   three dots instead.

   When quoting such UI items in text (software controls as well as
   documentation), the three dots are omitted entirely.

   Example: (-) Klikněte na tlačítko Procházet...
            (+) Klikněte na tlačítko Procházet.
   Note that any standard punctuation (except period) that is required
   by the syntax of the sentence, should still be added after the
   ellipsis. In Czech localized texts, it is recommended to avoid using
   the ellipsis entirely.

   Note: The (-) denotes what not to do and the (+) what should be done.

I think these style guides are going to be a great resource for
translators...

                                 -- Mark Twain