Should we translate the prompt

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Mon Jul 8 05:16:41 CDT 2013

On Sun, 7 Jul 2013, Jactry Zeng wrote:
[...]
> msgid "%1? (Yes|No)\n"
[...]
> When I discuss this with Qian Hong, he give a better idea. We may can just
> make the origin text more apropos, just like:
> msgid "%1? (Y)es|(N)o\n"

I think this would look odd in English and that the original string is
better.

> So that we can translate it into Simplified Chinese:
> msgid "%1?是(Y)|否(N)¥n"

I think this translation would be ok, even for the original string. I
see it as similar to the recommendation of following translated menu
labels with with the original English hotkey in parentheses.

We have very few places where we have this situation. As far as I
know there is this message, the '(Yes|No|All)' version, and the
following one:

msgid ""
"Is '%1' a filename or directory¥n"
"on the target?¥n"
"(F - File, D - Directory)¥n"

Also, whichever way we go, I think it could apply equally well to
the Traditional Chinese, Japanese and Korean translations too.

     The software said it requires Win95 or better, so I installed Linux.