Possibility of adding a new patch status

Hugh McMaster hugh.mcmaster at masterindexing.com
Mon Jul 29 22:16:47 CDT 2013

Hi everyone,

Wine patches currently have a status described in http://source.winehq.org/patches, yet for patches with the status of 'New', the status becomes confusing.

The legend describes 'New' status as "Patch not even looked at yet, there's still hope...". This is ideal for new patches submitted within that 24-hour commit cycle.

But I'm finding it difficult to follow patches that remain with a status of 'New' for longer than the 24-hour patch cycle.  Obviously, on the weekend, patches are held over till Monday, so a longer lead-time is expected.  During weekdays, however, it is unclear what is happening with some patches.  This, ultimately, raises the question of timeliness.

Has the patch been looked at? If it has, the status often describes what action was taken - committed, rejected, superseded, etc.  This is fine, but some patches remain with a status of 'New'.

Experience has told me that patches remaining with a status of 'New' are incorrect in some way. But this is not always the case.

If the patch is incorrect, but close to being accepted, the patch's status should reflect this, by changing to something like "Revision needed". Of course, the "Rejected" status is also appropriate, depending on the severity of coding error.

Also, there are likely to be many times when the maintainer has not had time to evaluate some patches. This means the patch is not new (i.e. recently submitted), but is awaiting review.  Once again, I believe the patch status should reflect this situation.  The status could be "Not yet reviewed".

In summary, the 'New' status should be reserved for patches that are actually new.

Just some thoughts.